Table of Contents
- Help the instructor get to know you and understand your needs
- Get you set up to succeed in the course
- Learn how to prepare a
- Start to understand programming
Note: if you do not complete this quest on time, you might be dropped from the course. However, do not rely on the instructor to drop you because he may not. You are entirely accountable for not dropping any course.
Read the Scholastic Honesty Policy and Quest and Lab Integrity policies of the syllabus. Here are some clarifications for this particular quest:
- This is a solo quest that you must complete individually.
- Do not communicate with anyone nor look at any information (like Google) during the quiz.
Complete the following quest specifications so we can get acquainted.
- Project 1: Create an Avatar: Create your avatar name by signing up at Greenfoot.org. This name will be used when posting your games online, among other things.
After signing up, post at least one comment on the Greenfoot site for the Bugs scenario (like "hi"). Your post will allow me to see your avatar.
- Project 2: Supply Student Information: Complete the following Student Information form. Make sure to complete step 1 first!
- Project 3: Upload a Picture: Upload a clear, easily recognizable head shot photo of yourself to Canvas along with the rest of your assignment files.
Note that I am NOT asking you to post your image as an avatar or in your profile. Instead, I am asking that the image file be uploaded to an area of Canvas that only you (and I) can see, which is the assignment turn-in (submittal) area. The purpose of the image is simply to help me learn your name.
Please limit the file size of images to one megabyte or less. Please include only yourself in the image. The instructor must be able to easily identify you from the image to receive full credit.
- Project 4: Learning and Intelligence
- Read the Salman Kahn article "Why I Will Never Tell My Son He is Smart" and complete the worksheet.
- When finished with the worksheet save it in plain text format with the file name "learning.txt".
- Submit the
learning.txt file with the rest of the assignment as described in Deliverables.
- Project 5: Review the Concepts: Complete the Quest 1 Quiz in Canvas to verify your understanding. Make sure to review lesson 1 and lab 1 before taking the quiz!
The purpose of this quiz is to help you decide if you have a good understanding of the concepts from lesson 1 and this assignment. Since this is the first quiz, you may take it multiple times.
- Project 6: Develop a README file
A README file contains information about other files in an assignment or set of software files. It is a plain text file and is where the instructor starts when grading assignments. You will turn in a single
README.txt file for every lab or quest that has programming projects.
- Download the example README.TXT file.
- Update the example
README.TXT to fill in your own date, name and email, but keep the same file name.
- Update your
README.TXT file as this assignment progresses to ensure it is correct.
- Submit the
README.txt with the rest of the assignment as described in Deliverables.
The purpose of this extra credit project is to continue giving you an intuitive grasp of important programming concepts beyond the lab.
- Start the hour of code here and select Minecraft Designer.
Play the videos if you need help. If you get stuck, please let the instructor know so he can help.
- When finished with all the steps, click the "I've finished my Hour of Code" link.
- Add your full name (first and last) to personalize the certificate and then press the Submit button.
- Click on the certificate and it will take you to a new webpage with a larger picture of your certificate. Here is a link to an example certificate:
- Highlight the web address (URL) for your certificate in the browser bar and copy it (Ctrl + c).
- Paste (Ctrl + v) the entire URL into your
README.txt file underneath the previous link. Do NOT submit the certificate.
The instructor will evaluate your quest using the following criteria. Each criteria represents a specific achievement of your quest and has a scoring guide. The scoring guide explains the possible scores you can receive.
Some scoring guides have a list of indicators. These indicators are a sign of meeting, or a symptom of not meeting, the specific criterion. Note that a single indicator may not always be reliable or appropriate in a given context. However, as a group, they show the condition of meeting the criterion.
For information on grading policies, including the interpretation of XP, see the syllabus page.
- 2: Avatar name registered at Greenfoot.org
- 0: Avatar name not registered
Student Information Form
- 4: Student information form was submitted
- 0: No Student information form submitted
- 2: Instructor able to easily identify student from supplied image.
- 1: Instructor not able to easily identify student from supplied image.
- 0: Specified image was not turned in
Learning and Intelligence Worksheet
- 4: Student completed and submitted the learning worksheet with masterful effort
- 3: Student completed and submitted the learning worksheet with substantial effort
- 2: Student completed and submitted the learning worksheet with minimal effort
- 1: Student submitted the learning worksheet
- 0: No learning worksheet submitted
Quest 1 Quiz
- 2: Quiz completed and all answer are correct.
- 1: Quiz completed but not all answers are correct.
- 0: Quiz not completed.
README.TXT file completed following instructions and then submitted
README.txt file submitted but some information was missing
- 0: no
README.txt file submitted
Total possible XP: 16 plus extra credit
Students submit some homework as they work on it like the Google form and Quest 1 Quiz. However, students must submit other work to Canvas as described below.
- Upload the following files to quest Q1: Getting Started in Canvas:
- Easily recognizable head shot photo from quest 1.3 above
- Your learning.txt file from quest 1.4 above.
README.TXT from quest 1.6 above with optionally the extra credit the Hour of Code Certificate URL.
- In addition, verify you:
- Completed the Quest 1 Quiz in Canvas.
- Created an Avatar name at the Greenfoot site.
- Submitted the Student Information form from quest 1.2 above.
You must submit all the files needed to complete your quest. If you make a mistake, you can resubmit up to the deadline. If you resubmit, include all your quest files as Canvas hides prior submission files. For information on resubmitting see How do I change an assignment in Canvas?
| Room Policies
Last Updated: September 14 2017 @15:27:32