Table of Contents
- Get you ready for the week's lessons.
- Introduce you to the following concepts:
- access modifiers (public or private)
- private methods
- the keyword
- type String concatenation
- Variable lifetime
- parameterizing methods
Read the Scholastic Honesty Policy and Quest and Lab Integrity policies of the syllabus. Here are some clarifications for this particular lab:
- You are encouraged to work with one other student of this class following the Rules of Pair Programming. If you choose to pair program, there is a bonus applied.
- If you pair program, you must both turn in the same scenario.
- You may discuss the code with other students for this lab.
- You must type all the code yourself and not copy from another student.
Complete these labs before class on Tuesday 2/26/19.
- Make sure you have completed the exercises from lesson 4 as they are submitted as part of this lab.
- Complete the Chapter 4 exercises in CodeLab. These are review exercises and you have all the information needed to complete them. If you have questions, please contact the instructor for help.
- Scan the textbook chapter 5 to get an overview of the material.
- Complete the in-chapter exercises 5.1 through 5.56 that are listed throughout chapter 5.
Start with WBC-1 in chapter05 after download the starting files from the Book scenarios. If you have a problem completing a step and need to check your work, look at the other WBC files from chapter05.
- Follow the exercise steps exactly and read the textbook as you progress through the chapter to enhance your understanding.
For those exercises steps that have a text answer, open the Scenario Information (Scenario > Scenario Information) and type the exercise number and answer after the existing Scenario Information. For example, here are my answers to the first few exercises:
Exercises with Text Answers
5.1: Blue Bacteria move from right to left and disappear off the left-side of the screen.
(answers needed for 5.1, 5.2, 5.4, 5.26, 5.32)
- Add the following to the top of the Scenario Information with the "VERSION or DATE" and "AUTHORS" fields filled in:
PROJECT TITLE: Lab 4
PURPOSE OF PROJECT: Book tutorial chapter 5
VERSION or DATE: 1.0 (The date completed)
AUTHORS: Your name here
- Upload the completed scenario files to Canvas as explained in the section of this document: Deliverables.
The instructor will evaluate your lab using the following criteria. Thus you should check your lab against these criteria to maximize your XP.
Lesson Exercises (from Class)
- 2: All lesson exercises attempted and turned in
- 1: Some lesson exercises not completed and turned in or other problems found
- 0: No lesson exercises turned in or wrong folder name
Tutorial Lab (Textbook)
- 4: Demonstrates mastery of the lab exercise:
- Applies concepts from the lessons appropriately
- Follows the steps exactly
- Exercises perform correctly
- 3: Has all the major functionality expected:
- Demonstrates many techniques from the lesson
- May deviate from the specified steps in some way
- Implementation seems more complicated than necessary.
- 2: Has much of the functionality expected:
- Demonstrates some techniques from the lesson
- Deviates from the specified steps in some way
- Implementation seems excessively complicated.
- 1: Serious functional problems but shows some effort and understanding:
- Follows at least 1/2 of the of the specified steps
- Has a major error (detected by the browser) or many minor errors
- Demonstrates few techniques from the lesson
- 0: Not turned in or wrong folder name
Number completed correctly / number exercises * 8 and rounded up to the nearest integer.
Maximum XP: 14
The CodeLab due today is submitted automatically, but other lab work must be submitted as described below.
- On your computer, create a folder for the lesson exercises named "lesson" (no extra characters) and place all the exercise files from Lesson 4 into this folder. Since we only worked on the "bugs" scenario, submit only one scenario that shows your compled work.
- Add the
guild.txt file to the lesson folder.
- Create a second folder named "tutorial" (no extra characters) and place the completed scenario from chapter 5 into this folder. Include only one scenario that shows your completed work. Do not include files from previous labs.
- Create a zip file with both folders named
lab4.zip, or one zip file for each folder with the name of the folder, and submit the zip file(s) to the Lab 4 slot of Canvas.
Please do not add any extra characters to the above folder names. Also, do not put any spaces or special characters like #, : or $ in zip file or folder names. Your crafted code must work as submitted. Remember to test and double check your files before and after submitting them. If you make a mistake, you can resubmit up to the deadline but must resubmit all your quest files.
Last Updated: February 25 2019 @13:23:57